My Days In The Middle Of Rice Field

by - April 09, 2015

We (the whole family) decided to try alternative healing (non-medic way) to help my mother, we don't want to see her frustrated because of the slow progress and hoping that way would be faster than the regular way of healing. 

So, after asking other friends who have a family member or acquaintance who has tried that way (actually, they told us it's painless), we’ve got a lot of options, many options. One person said this place is good, one person said this place is so good, and one person said this place is better, most people gave advice and recommendations about a place and healer based on the fact or their experience.

After discussion, we chose my aunt's recommendation, because of... her recommendation hehe because she knew well with the owner and the place is still in the Subang area (between 45 minutes from my home).

So here we go, we went on Friday night to an unknown place, I mean I still have not seen yet the place. we used my uncle's car because we carried so much stuff for my mother. Besides that, my aunty said that the place is middle of nowhere hehe and difficult to find a food stall and Alfamart (as I said before, Alfamart is the largest franchise after Warung Nasi Padang, even you can even find it on Cihideung Peak).

After a long way...


We arrived in the middle of nowhere place, really in the middle... of a rice field. I still couldn't see around because we were focused on my mother. We moved the stuff into the room (a long room that reminds me of the dormitory) and placed the stuff randomly.

FYI, (finally, I knew it) this place is owned by Pak Engkim, he lived with his family and his assistants, the location is at Katomas village on the border of Pagaden and Binong, in front of his house there was a huge material shop, people called it “Material Panjang”. People around here know Mr. Engkim so well.

My first impression about this place was that I felt like spending the summer holiday in a Javanese village, trust me, the temperature is so hot and I wondered if they survived hehe

Let me describe this place. The house is built in the middle of a rice field and there is a small path which is connected to the house and the road. In front of the longhouse, there was a medium concrete yard, and after that, a small mosque (musholla) made of bamboo bilik (bamboo strap which is plaited by hand used for the wall or floor of Sundanesse traditional building). 

On the left there is a catfish pond and the other pond (I still don't know its function), also there was a crop planted, and all building is united in one area. There is a river after the house and the railways, so we (always) can hear the sound of train bells from here, especially at night or dawn.





We stayed in the dormitory hehe, they provided a slight bed for the patient and carpets for the keeper, in other words: we slept on the floor, no bed again T.T Fortunately I prepared a sleeping bag just for myself hehe

My daily activities start with shubuh praying, then glucose checking and blood pressure checking, taking a bath for my mother and myself (and washing the clothes). After that, I inject insulin into her body 15 minutes before breakfast. I brought her outside to sunbathe, no longer than my mother eating her meals. Sometimes I challenge her to move her left body, especially her fingers and it will end up with her frustrated face :)



THE METHODS
Pak Engkim used 2 ways of healing, the 1st is by herbs and the 2nd is by massage.

HERBS
3 times a day his assistant would bind my mother's body (only for the stroke part) with their special potions, in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the night. The potion is made from smashed ginger, casava, and chili, which are blended and packaged with fabrics before attaching to my mother's body, she said that the potion is super hot. It took around 2 hours for binding time or until my mother felt so hot. The purpose is to stimulate the nerves until the deepest of skin layers.

In the morning his assistant would give my mother kuning / kunyit / kunir water (it’s made from smashed turmeric and a little bit of water which was filtered), and in the afternoon his assistant would give my mother beras kencur water (it’s made from smashed rice and kencur and a little bit of water which was filtered) sometimes they give pandan water (it’s made from smashed pandanus leaf and a little bit of water which was filtered) all depend on my mother condition. That’s all for the drink.

MASSAGE
There is one man who does the massages, he knows better the nerves and the veins in our body as a neurologist but without formal education. He would massage Pak Engkim patient once in 2 days because he worried the patient couldn't accept the pain after massage. So far he’s good but my mother hates him hehe... He always gave the pain, please... it’s his job, Mom.

I enjoyed waking up in the morning by the rays of sunrise, the rare moment of my regular day, peeking (FYI, my sleeping position is in front of the door, so I had the day in widescreen) from my sleeping bag made me feels in camping mode hehe

Maybe because nothing (serious) to do here, I can sleep early in the night and my day is no longer than sleeping, eating, washing clothes, writing a journal (yes! I had something to do), and another unproductive activity just for killing the time. I hope she’s doing well soon and has her life as before.


The worst problem is she had around 2 weeks without going to the washroom, she had a stomach problem. I gave her the calomel but still not work, I gave her 2 times and nothing happened!. So we’re moving seriously, I bought her dulcol*x (bullet shape) which using by entering from the (sorry) butt, and... success !!!

Then... the problem continued, now she had a serious stomachache, a very bad problem. She can stop at the washroom, it has been 3 days and won't stop. We must work harder because she can't move or leave her bed, so .. here I am... stuck cleaning the diapers T.T

After those difficult days, we planned to send her to their recommended doctor, dr. Iwan. He is a famous doctor here (Binong and around) and has a lot of patients during his workday, so we need to make an appointment by phone to avoid the queue, we’ve got the 110th (even) after making an appointment. Popularity is a guarantee, at least it’s my impression while looking at him checking my mother's condition, he explained well about the disease, and how to control and handle it. 

The cost is average (for average people) around 6 digits (000,000) including the medicine, we like the doctor because he convinces my mother (as I said, she is stubborn and wouldn't believe until she finds the truth by herself) and made her waiting for the next appointment 10 days after.


For almost 2 weeks we have stayed here, In the beginning, she used the wheelchair, then she tried to walk by holding onto 2 men (her ex-worker and Mr. Engkim's assistant) the progress is slow but she needs to face it, it’s better than sitting on the wheelchair in the day. Cheers, Mom!!!


(re)thinking about the last month made me realize maybe this is the reason why I am still unemployed (oh please... really?) maybe this is my turn to take care of my mother, to return back around 11 years that I spent separated from her, for all the caring that she always gave to me, this is not enough... still not enough. T.T

You May Also Like

0 comments

Feel free to leave some feedback after, also don't hesitate to poke me through any social media where we are connected. Have a nice day everyone~